Thursday, February 25, 2010

Restoring the original Willard's Woods

The chair of the Conservation Commission, Joyce Miller, told the Commission meeting on February 23rd to look at Thomas P. Sileo's book Historical Guide to Open Space in Lexington and learn about Willard's Woods flora and fauna. Being a bookseller, I was delighted to discover that I had this somewhat scarce out-of-print book! As a member of the fledgling Friends of Willard's Woods, I tried to identify restoration projects the Commission might undertake based on Sileo's book that would help restore the woods to its original purposes. Originalism is all the rage among the Supremes, so why not in Lexington! I found four things that used to be a part of the activities at the Woods when it was a farm, but haven't been seen for years. I have added some historical pictures from the Library of Congress that would give some idea of how Willard's Woods might have looked in these bygone days as a guide to the restoration that could be undertaken. These would require some serious permit negotiations!


Summertime damming of Willard Brook for children's swimming [p113]


Fox hunting. Somewhat out of fashion, but I have seen foxes at Willard's. [p112]


Enormous brood of 2000 chickens! The impact of dog guano is nothing compared to this. [p107]


Horse racing and a horse exercise ring. Where have the horses gone in Willard's? [p107]


No comments:

Post a Comment