ONE OF OUR MEMBERS ASKED ME TO POST HIS COMMENTS TO THE BLOG:
Dog Walking in Willard’s Woods
I’m sorry that I was unable to attend the Willard’s Woods meeting at the Library today. I trust that there were many good ideas presented there. I would like to present my own thoughts on the subject in the hope that they will be of some benefit.
My reaction to the letters that I have seen is that they present too much of a one sided view of Willard’s, namely that is a wonderful place for walking dog’s off leash, that this is an important thing for the dogs and good for their owners. All true, but Willard’s is not, and should not become, an exclusively dog-walking site. I would urge, in addition to the above, recognition that there may be some problems associated with the dogs and a willingness to do something about them. Also that eliminating leash free walking creates other problems which are undesirable.
1. Closing off Willard’s to dog walkers will take a beautiful site and render it essentially unused. This hardly seems like what we as residents should want of the place.
2. The sign at the entry, with its list of does and don’ts, is good as far as it goes. Unfortunately it is too long and in too small type to make as much impact as it should. I would suggest two or at most three additional signs, in very large type, each highlighting one item. For example, one should clearly say
PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOG
Another might say
KEEP YOUR DOG AWAY FROM STRANGERS
3. Make it clear to the CC that we are willing and able to form a formal volunteer group to help in policing the site. A half dozen to a dozen people, along with a chosen leader, all known to the CC, could do a good job of keeping recalcitrants in line, including reporting incorrigible violators. They also should meet with the CC as needed and be kept informed of any complaints as they come up.
4. If overuse of the woods is deemed to be a problem, then closing it off in some lesser way would be desirable. For example, I have heard the suggestion that Willard’s be closed on weekends to dogs (and all others?). Other limitations on use might be warranted and could be worked out to dog owners’ satisfaction.
That would cover my ideas on the subject. I hope that they are useful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment