Saturday, February 26, 2011

Nancy Bryant - Precinct 3 Town Meeting Candidate Statement


I am writing to ask for your vote as a Precinct 3 Town Meeting representative in the March 7 election.  I previously served on Town Meeting for two terms, but did not seek re-election as I felt others should have the opportunity to partake in town governance and service.

I am running for Town Meeting again now because I am disheartened with Lexington’s politics and hope that I can help make a difference working towards governance that is more representative and fair.  The issue that propels me towards Town Meeting is that of the Willard’s Woods controversy where the Conservation Commission’s mishandling of what they term as “user conflict” has escalated what little conflict existed and destroyed what was one of Lexington’s best examples of true community.

Years ago I was drawn to run for Town Meeting over the Pay-As-You-Throw debacle.  As an environmental biologist by profession, I strongly support recycling.  However, Lexington’s PAYT had many flaws and social concerns and it lacked proper recycling incentives, especially for single individuals and elders who tend to generate little waste.

In trying to resolve the PAYT and Willard’s Woods controversies, I have frequently encountered several Lexington officials, elected or appointed, who did not want to hear positions or recommendations contrary to their own view.  These officials have told me and others that though our points are articulate and knowledgeable, that they know best what to do.  This imperious attitude has led to programs that don’t work because they lacked continuous citizen involvement from the ground up.

Hence, I come before the Precinct 3 electorate again and ask for your vote.  I have a passion for environmental issues, rescue dogs, elder care advocacy, and the common good.  I pledge to listen to your concerns and I would be honored to have your vote.

Sincerely,
Nancy Bryant
Blossomcrest Road, Lexington

No comments:

Post a Comment